well that was unexpected

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 StumbleUpon 0 Google+ 0 Email -- Filament.io 0 Flares ×

Well hello 2019, and hello first day back to work in the new year.

I’m kinda glad to see 2018 go – while we had some great moments, like finding out I was expecting and celebrating our 1st anniversary, we also had the hurricane (and subsequent damage), and Jake losing his job.   All that is behind us now!

The end of 2018 naturally brought about some doctors appointments.  I had my 1 hour glucose test on December 18th, and found out 2 days later that I failed it.  Boo.    Scheduled by 3 hour test for December 26th.  Immediately after finding out I failed the first one, I changed my diet, this meant – no sweets, no sweet tea, no juice (oh how i miss orange juice) and no soda.   I pretty much dropped 8-10lbs in a matter of days.  Go to the hospital to take the 3 hour test (which is 4 blood draws total) – their computer system is a mess, and I spend a bunch of time on the phone with my old doctor (who was helping out since my regular doctor was on maternity leave).   We finish up at lunch time and Jake takes me out to lunch at Cracker Barrel.   One giant plate of carbs (mac & cheese, hashbrown casserole & chicken & dumplings) – I get the dreaded phone call that I failed the 3 hour one.  Boo again.  Jake said “well aren’t you glad you ate all those carbs now?”   The soda was a hard one, because that was my main form of caffeine, so I weaned off that slowly by having 1/4-1/3 of one of the tiny 8oz bottles per day until my stash was gone (about 3 days).  Now I’m doing pretty well, the withdrawal headaches are gone.

Dr. H calls in a prescription for a glucose meter, lancets and test strips and tells me to test 4 times a day (wake up, and then after each meal).  No white bread, white rice or white potatoes, no juice, no sweet tea, no cereal and limited fruit.   Dude, I’m pregnant – fruit is life!  So I started testing the morning of December 27th.   I have the hang of it now, and it’s not as painful as it was the first few days.   I got some awesome tips on how to get a sample when your hands are cold from some nurse friends, and to just remain calm when doing it and don’t get overly anxious.   I have yet to meet with the doctor since this diagnosis, but based on the research that Jake and I have done – my numbers for the most part are relatively good.

But the diagnosis was certain unexpected.

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv badge