So if you are friends on facebook with me, you know last weekend was a special trip home for a good friend (my sister in love!) wedding. I was a bridesmaid! Here is a list of the silly and sometimes serious things I learned.
1. it is perfectly acceptable to ask your good guy friend’s wife who you just met for the 2nd time and haven’t seen in 10 years to flat iron your hair. She gives awesome advice and loves you like a sister already. It’s also perfectly acceptable for her to hold your thong tucked in her purse because it fell out of your bag in the changing room and no one saw it until all the dress bags, & makeup totes had been taken to the car. It is also good for an insane amount of giggles as said friend thinks of it as you walk down the aisle. <3 me some Lee.
2. Never underestimate the power of a good 80’s hair band song and how it makes you smile like a flipping idiot while you dance with 2 of the best girls you will ever have in your life….song of the night goes to: Def Leppard’s Pour Some Sugar On Me! While we look like we are quite possibly intoxicated, we are not (well, maybe that one in the black is). I had 2 beers the whole night, and was mostly just high on happiness from the night before & the wedding day festivities.
3. If any of the groomsman have suspenders, and you know them well. Snap those puppies and snap them often. They will love you for it later. Especially 3 days later when looking in the bathroom mirror wondering why their chest is covered in small bruises.
4. 2 words – COWBOY BOOTS. On the bride and me. Our little piece of memories of our hometown, of growing up in a high school between a corn field & a cow pasture. Can’t take Varina out of the girl, no matter how long she’s been gone.
5. Friends are great for clarity, and because they know you better than anyone else, they are great for telling you exactly what you need to hear, even if it is NOT want you want to hear. It doesn’t matter the distance between you, or the time since you’ve seen their face. THEY are your roots, THEY are the folks you’ll come back to. Time and Time again.
This was the best weekend I’ve had in a long time. It’s the happiest I’ve been in such a very long time. I needed this weekend, and I thank everyone who made my weekend the awesome. In no particular order..- JPS, Kelly & Al, Ang &Travis, Lee & Ryan, Adam & Ashley, Willie, LeeAnn & Melissa (for the giggles), Tara for the dress, Aunt Debbie for the car & letting me stay @ her house. Harper for the hugs (they are the best!). For everyone who had a hand in making this weekend come together – thank you. I love you all.
ETA: I failed to mention the photographer of those photos – the above mentioned flat-ironing, thong holding friend Lee. She’s a wonderful photographer and you can check her out here: http://shoxphotography.smugmug.com/